On February 17, 2023, the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) announced that Brazil joined the Hague Agreement.
Such membership allows that industrial designs are protected in Brazil and further 95 countries covered by the Agreement, through only one industrial design application. The system will enter into force in Brazil as of August 1st, 2023.
In order to prevent conflicts between the implementation of Hague Agreement and national legislation, the Brazilian government stablished the following guidelines:
- applications under the Agreement will not be filed before the Brazilian Patent and Trademark Office (BPTO);
- each application must contain only one design (having until 20 variants);
- the mention of design author in the application is mandatory;
- the deferment of the design publication will not be possible; and
- the validity term is 25 years.
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com.